One thought Seth Godin had in his book Small is the New Big (i do recommend this book in case you were wondering):
What Makes an idea viral?
No one sends an idea unless:
1. they understand it
2. they want to spread it
3. they believe that spreading it will enhance their power (reputation, income, friendships) or their piece of mind
4. the effort necessary to send the idea is less than the benefits
No ones “get” an idea unless:
1. the first impression demands further investigation
2. they already understand the foundation ideas necessary to get the new idea
3. they trust or respect the sender enough to invest the time.
so the question i have been dealing with since i read this: Is church viral? if it’s not, why not? how can we assist people to make them want to spread the idea of attending a church? how can we help people “get” it?
have we instituted barriers for entry? do we turn people off without even knowing it?
2 Comments »